Thursday, January 31, 2013

Church, Cocktails, and a Flood


This second week of classes was significantly better than last week and I’m starting to get in the everyday routine. I leave the house around 8:30 and I return around 6 if I’m eating dinner at home or sometime before 10 if I’m not, such as last night when 11 of us went to Buffalo Wings & Rings (Jordan’s version of Buffalo Wild Wings) to celebrate someone’s 21st birthday. Other than that, I come home, do homework, and we have our evening tea around 9-10pm.

Also now part of my weekly routine is going to church (in Arabic of course). Every Saturday at 7pm I take a taxi to St. Mary’s of Nazareth. The church is pretty small (about the size of Our Lady of the Lakes in Laconia, NH) and it’s packed. Literally standing room only. I was able to get a seat the first week but last week I arrived too late and had to stand. Mass is both easy and difficult to follow. It’s easy, because I know what is supposed to be happening. It’s hard because I can’t quite hear/understand what they’re saying. However, my older host sister told me if I got there early, I can maybe talk with the priest and he can give me a copy of the mass and prayers written out. So that’s what I’m hoping to do this week so I can start learning the Our Father in Arabic! At our church, there are 7 alter boys, the priest, and a deacon. When it’s time for the Eucharist, everyone receives it by mouth and the alter boys hold a gold plate underneath your mouth as you’re receiving communion so it doesn’t drop on the floor. Also, there is no procession down the middle aisle at the end of the mass. As soon as the closing hymn starts, everyone leaves. In fact, I’d estimate half the church leaves after communion. But overall, everyone is really friendly and I like it.

Now some fun stories from this past week:

1) I met with my peer tutor and her friend yesterday and they asked me if I wanted to get a cocktail. They both wear hijabs and I know alcohol is against Islamic law, but I said yes to see what it would entail. Turns out, in Jordan, a cocktail means a fruit smoothie! It was only a dinar ($1.40) and quite delicious.

My peer tutor, Myassar (right), and her friend, Oreib (middle)

2) This past Tuesday I came home and noticed the dining room table had a tablecloth, nice china, a vegetable platter and a pitcher of water. Although no one said anything, I assumed people were coming over. I went to my room to start doing homework and to FaceTime and my little sister comes in and says (in English) that my host dad says I should stay in the room and not come out. So, for three and a half hours, I sat in my room feeling like Harry Potter and wondering why I was banished to my room. Finally, at 11:30, one of my older sisters comes in and says there’s food on the kitchen table that I can eat. I asked her why I was banned and she said they had people over from church and the ones they didn’t know as well had left (my dad had personally taken me to church so I was still a little confused why I had to hide). Anyway, I came out and I said hi to people that I’ve already met. After they left, I went into the kitchen to get food. My older sister asked my parents why they said I had to stay in my room and they were so confused. Apparently my little sister misunderstood them! I was quite relieved.

3) I have never had an appreciation for the US drain system until yesterday when it rained. In Amman, when it rains, it floods. Amman is built on 8 hills/mountains so water just goes everywhere. I didn’t know it was going to rain yesterday and made the mistake of wearing flats. HUGE MISTAKE. To get to the coffee shop, I was holding up my pants and ankle-deep in gushing water. My shoes are still drying. Today I was smart and wore boots.

4) Among 21 hours of Arabic instruction per week, homework, and talking with my peer tutor, I can definitely see my language skills improving. Yesterday I talked with my peer tutor and her friend for two hours and then today I had to meet with the director of the language program for tea/coffee (he meets with everyone individually just to chat). Although I was really nervous because he’s in charge of the whole program, I could actually understand him and we talked for an hour. That’s something I was not anywhere near two weeks ago.

5) The other day, the Barcelona football (soccer) game was on and I thought the announcer was speaking in Spanish. Then I realized he was speaking in Arabic. Not sure if that meant I felt I could understand it as well as Spanish or that I'm starting to think Arabic sounds like Spanish. 



Other random things:
- After two weeks in the gym, I’m already back in shape and bored of doing cardio. I’m trying to incorporate more CrossFit into my workout to change it up. 
- The Jacuzzi at the gym is really nice, especially when it’s cold and rainy outside. 
- Pancake is still pancake in Arabic. My host mom makes good chocolate chip pancakes.
- UJ (University of Jordan) doesn't have toilet paper in the bathrooms. You need to bring your own.
- Napkins don't exist in Amman. People either don't use them, use tissues, or use paper towels. The only place I've seen napkins is at restaurants, and even then they don't always have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment