Tuesday, January 22, 2013

FOOD


I’ve been holding off posting about food because I wanted to accumulate photos so you could see what I’m trying to describe. Overall, the food here is really good! A typical meal consists of meat, rice, veggies and pita bread. Jordanians appear to love olives, but they taste different than olives in the US. My host family loves green olives in particular, which is a shame because I’m not a huge fan. Pita bread and hummus are mumtastic as we would say in Arab-english. I've also had some really good Shawarma  here and it's quite inexpensive ($2.26). 

Every evening, I come home from classes and I am served dinner (which they call lunch). This can be anytime between the hours of 4 and 7. Then, we have tea and cookies around 10-11pm, while we watch TV. The first night I was with my host family, I was served second dinner around 11pm, but that seems to be a rare occurrence. Some of the food I've had is below. Enjoy!


Breakfast at the Landmark Hotel in Amman. Apricots, peaches, pastry, fried cheese, sausage, cucumbers, and cheese.



Lunch in Amman. The appetizers. Jordanians love to feed you lots and lots of food. Also, a lot of things have sumac on them. Thankfully, I'm not allergic!


This is called Labeh (spelling?). It's made from milk and cooked on the stove. My family adds cinnamon and coconut to it and you eat it with a spoon out of a mug.


McDonald's in Amman. I tried the McArabia sandwich. It's chicken, lettuce, onions in pita bread. Pretty good!


KFC in Amman. I think this may have been the first time I've ever been to a KFC. I enjoyed my chicken wrap.


I've had this for the past three nights for dinner. It's rice, lamb, nuts, peas, and tomatoes cooked inside a thin tortilla-like bread. Really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment